Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Flower Cart Gift Box plusTutorial

 I've received quite a few requests to post the directions for a flower cart that I had posted a few years ago.  The original instructions are in Russian, so with permission from Nadia, the original creator, I have done a tutorial in English.


Isn't it adorable!  This would be a perfect Mother's Day gift.
Here are the two templates you will need to create the cart/wheelbarrow.  The measurements are done in centimeters.  The dash lines are for folding ~ solid lines for cutting.









  
1. Cut out the templates ~ I've used Kraft paper for the large parts of the cart and a few layered pieces of thin cardboard for the handles, the wheel and the legs. I'm using some of Nadia's original pictures because she does a fabulous job recording the steps.
Here you can see all the cuts that are needed.  (My top cover is a bit different than hers)




2. Score on dotted lines, fold and glue to form empty cart.
3. Score and fold top piece of cart and adhere to the inside to create a flip up top. You can cover the inside if you'd like.

 
4. I ran all the extra smaller bits of the cart through my Big Shot using a wood grain folder from the Paper Studio. I cut some of the longer side pieces to create varied lengths of 'wood'.
5. Ink all the edges. I used Tim Holtz frayed burlap distress ink.
6. Add 'nail heads' using a brown marker and glossy accents..


 7. Put together the handles by inserting a brad through one of the handles then into one of the circles. Repeat with the other handle and wheel. Then sandwich a third circle inside so the prongs of the brads are not visible.
8. Glue the handles and legs to the bottom of the cart using the extra 'planks' as cross pieces to hold it all together.
 

 

 
Now for the flower filling :-)

1. Use Cricut Expression, cut out a nice bunch of flowers. I used a cut from the Cricut Hello Kitty Greetings cartridge. I also cut out some leaves using a punch from Martha Stewart called Leaf Fronds.
2.Use an embossing pad and tool and along with some well placed pencil lines, create some dimension to the flowers and fronds.


3. Adhere some of the flowers to the base top along with a ribbon to use as a pull for the top.
4. Trace the top of the flower cart to make a green base to match the leaves.  Cut two of these out.
5. Attach loads of flowers to one of the green pieces and then curved it to appear that the cart will look full.  I added rubber from a negative of a Stampin Up stamp set to give it some lift. It's always fun to find use for things that you keep for no apparent reason.



6. Attach the curved green base to the flat green base then glue onto your flower cart. You can see here how I created the illusion that the cart is overflowing with flowers.

 
Just keep adding flowers until your cart looks full. Isn't it beautiful!!


I hope my tutorial wasn't too long and that it was easy to follow along.  Please let me know if you create a cart, I'd love to see it!
ta ta for now,
Michelle

challenges:
Simon Says Stamp
Exploring Cricut
Die Cuttin Divas

Here are some pictures of my original cart and the link to the wonderful Nadya Mu-Ha from Russia

19 comments:

  1. The cart you made is stunning. Beautiful work. Thanks for joining us at DCD.

    Hugs,
    Patty
    creativediva98.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful and so creative! Thanks for entering our challenge at Exploring Cricut

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH! I have never seen ANYTHING like that!! What a super job! Thanks so much for translating for us ALL!!! This is SPECTACULAR!!!

    GREAT JOB!!!

    Thanks so much for joining us at Exploring Cricut!!!

    Crafty Hugs,
    Jessica
    www.craftinandstampin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly amazing ,you are so super talented and patient! Love the wood grain effect created by the big shot folder!!! Crazy good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this Michelle :-) I can't use it for a while as I am not at home at the moment.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!!! This is awesome! Love it! Thank you so very much for joining our challenge at Exploring Cricut!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous!Thank you so much for joining Jaihart! Smiles,Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful card you made. Love those flowers.
    Thanks for joining us at DCD this week.
    Gerda
    http://cardscreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, this is so amazing!! I just bookmarked it so I can try to make one...I absolutely LOVE it...and the tutorial is so awesome!! Thank you so much for taking the time to put it together!! :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your post, congrats ♥ I'm thanking the google translator ...

    Muito lindo querida, obrigado♥

    Suely

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!! I love it!! What a gorgeous creation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete